Wednesday, December 19, 2012

God's Word in Our Mouths

Isaiah 51:12,14-16

"I, even I, am he who comforts you. Who are you that you fear mortal men, the sons of men, who are but grass, that you forget The Lord your Maker, who stretched out the heavens and laid the foundations of the earth, that you live in constant terror every day because of the wrath of the oppressor who is bent on destruction? For I am The Lord your God, who churns up the sea so that its waves roar--the Lord Almighty is His name. I have put my words in your mouth and covered you with the shadow of my hand--I who set the heavens in place, who laid the foundations of the earth, and who say to Zion, 'You are my people.'" (NIV)

The Lord comforts me through His Holy Spirit because I'm under the New Covenant. When I fear being around people, or fear what others may think about me or do to me if I express my feelings in a loving and truthful manner, I'm forgetting God who created me and who has promised to take care of me. I'm forgetting the greatness of my God, His awesome power available to me through the Holy Spirit, and His lavish love for me. He has put His words in my mouth, if I've surrendered my will to the Holy Spirit and to His sovereignty over my life that day, and His words are truth and life-affirming. I can speak truth in love without being afraid. He has covered me with the shadow of His hand. In other words, I'm walking and living under His protection. He's right there with me! I remember the first time I put my trust in these verses. I had always felt intimidated by a loved one to the point of exhausting myself to please her. I never felt relaxed around her. After spending several weeks in God's Word doing Bible studies, praying to God, meditating on Scriptures that told me not to fear, I found myself loving this particular family member as God loved me, and I no longer felt uncomfortable around her. I had nothing to prove and was content because I had found my approval in Christ Jesus. And I wanted her to know Him so much! My genuine love for her came through and our relationship changed for the better. Because I didn't see myself as a doormat, she stopped treating me like one. It was amazing! This is what the love and the Word of God can do. God laid the foundations of the earth and stretched out the heavens...He is able to do more than we can imagine in our lives when we surrender our wills to Him and take Him at His Word. He is trustworthy.

1 comment:

Meela said...

This is wonderful. I really needed to hear that this morning. A lot of times I get so caught up in what other people perceive and think of me. Their opinions resonate with me, even though the only opinion I should care about is God's. And He loves me for my flaws and all :).

Thanks Joni!