Sunday, December 30, 2012

Remembering God in 2012

An activity that helps me remember all God has done for me over the past year is to take a day or two toward the end of the year and go back through my personal journal. I did this a couple of days ago. I wrote down all the times God helped me, answered prayers, or worked things out for my good. One good thing about doing this is it helps me recall God's faithfulness, which then increases my faith in Him for today. Also, it keeps me from remembering only part of the story--my failures and defeats--and reminds me of the successful times, too. I tend to be hard on myself and forget the victories. After reviewing my year, I thought, "Girl, you've had a tough year, and with God's help, you made it! And not by the skin of your teeth either. You had some wonderful moments with Jesus right by your side. So quit that "stinkin' thinkin' with all the "should haves" and "if onlys" and rejoice in your God who was faithful to you."

It really turned my thinking around about my year. I realized I can't trust my faulty and selective memory. I need to " lean not on my own understanding" and trust God. My next thing is to decide on a verse for 2013. My verse for this year was, coincidentally, Prov 3:5-6. I've been praying for God to give me the one He wants me to have.

Praying you all have a blessed New Year! In the words of the apostle Paul, "May the grace and peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all."

No comments: