Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Verse for the New Year

My verse for 2013: Luke 10:39 "...Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching."

I want to be like Mary. I want to picture myself at the feet of Jesus, listening to Him every time I open the Bible. I want to hear His voice.

I love Ray Vander Laan's dvds. He has taught that the Jewish custom was for disciples to sit at the feet of their rabbi. In Luke 10:38-42, Mary wanted to be discipled, and judging by Jesus' reaction, he accepted her. I like the fact that Mary was willing to face disapproval in order to be near Jesus, willing to break her normal routine because The Lord had stopped by.

But Martha wasn't thinking about that. She was distracted with "much serving". She was so busy serving, she missed the blessing of the presence & the blessing of the teaching of the One she served. She even forgot who He was in her anxiety and fussed at him--her Lord: Jesus, I'm working myself to death here for you & Mary's just sitting there! Don't you care? Anxiety does that--shifts the focus onto ourselves. Who put the pressure on Martha? She did it to herself. No one told her to do " much serving".

Jesus understood Martha and was patient with her, but firm. "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary." In other words, "Martha you're stressed out. Serving right now can wait. The "I AM" has come to you. Man doesn't live by bread alone, remember? And by the way, I've fed 5000 men. I can take care of the menu. And then He praised Mary: "Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her." No time spent at the feet of Jesus is wasted time. He is our good portion. Nothing else can compare with Him.

Making listening at the feet of Jesus a priority before trying to serve Him will keep us from being distracted, anxious, and from unnecessary activity. We'll be happier people when we let Him take control. This is my goal for 2013. Intimacy, submission, obedience, loving service can only be achieved by spending time at the feet of Jesus. And praise God, He desires to spend time with us!

2 comments:

RockinMom said...

Excellent post! I have a very similar hope for this new year.

Joni said...

Praying you and I make our goal! :)