Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Bonhoeffer

Before I read Christian books by an author, I like to get to know the author--do a little research to see where he/she stands regarding their beliefs. I've been hearing about Dietrich Bonhoeffer from several Christian speakers and authors I have confidence in, so I decided to buy the biography about him before reading any of his works. I'm halfway through "Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy" which is a New York Times Bestseller in the Christian field. It's been hard to put this book down. I love books, and for all you other book lovers out there, I highly recommend this one. When I've finished it, I want to read his most popular book in the U.S., The Cost of Discipleship. I hear it's very good. Bonhoeffer was one of the few clergymen who stood against Hitler and the Third Reich's discrimination against Jews and Christianity. When trying to persuade him to "go along" with the new order, as other clergyman had done, thinking that in time they'd win Hitler over to their side, he responded: "If you board the wrong train it is no use running along the corridor in the opposite direction." I love that!

No comments: