Thursday, April 4, 2013

Perceptions of Failure


I’m currently reading (and LOVING) John Ortberg’s book, If You Want to Walk on Water, You’ve Got to Get Out of the Boat. I love his writing style—funny but informative, serious issues and concepts but explained in a down-to-earth manner. While talking about possible failure when you “step out of the boat”, out of your comfort zone, to follow Jesus, he gives many illustrations. But my favorite is this: “When we are young, failure does not seem to affect us much. No one-year-old stumbles when he tries to walk, then says to himself,  Well, that was stupid and clumsy of me! I guess I wasn’t cut out to be a walker. I sure don’t want anybody else to watch me fall. I’d rather settle for crawling the rest of my life than put myself through that experience again. Children are perfectly content to put up with unsteadiness and falling on the way to walking. That is why we call them toddlers…. Peter was a water-toddler. His steps, like his faith, were uncertain. He was willing to risk failure for the adventure of trusting Christ more fully.” Ortberg goes on to talk about how failure produces defeat and a desire to hide in some people, but in others “it becomes a kind of goad to push on to new learning, deeper persistence, more vigorous commitment, more courageous hearts.”
It all has to do with our perceptions of failure. My own perceptions of failure need an adjustment. Can’t wait to finish this book!

1 comment:

Laura: One Day At A Time said...

Sounds completely pertinent!! Apparently, I need to read it, too. I do like John Ortberg. Thanks for the "snippet" about a good book!