Wednesday, October 16, 2013

I'd Rather Have Jesus


Several days ago, I came across Jeremiah 6:16 "This is what the Lord says: “Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls." NIV84 I prayed that God would show me the ancient paths, where the good way is.

Then, yesterday morning, I woke with the words of this hymn singing in my heart: I'd Rather Have Jesus. I haven't heard this hymn in years and yet the tune and the words to the first line were being sung repeatedly in me. I got out my hymn book and looked it up, and sang silently all three verses to begin my quiet time with the Lord. I had to blink away the tears. There was such a sweet stillness in me as I let my mind take in the words of each verse. Then this morning, as soon as my eyes opened, my mind was in the middle of the same hymn, so I got out the hymnal and sang it through again. To be led by Jesus all day long and not let anything or anyone, including myself, interfere with His leading. I long for this, but I fall short of it. Still, I'm not giving up. I believe Jesus IS where the good way is and He will help me walk in Him.
 
 Here's the words to the hymn:

  1. I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
    I’d rather be His than have riches untold;
    I’d rather have Jesus than houses or lands;
    I’d rather be led by His nail-pierced hand
    • Refrain:
      Than to be the king of a vast domain
      Or be held in sin’s dread sway;
      I’d rather have Jesus than anything
      This world affords today.
  2. I’d rather have Jesus than men’s applause;
    I’d rather be faithful to His dear cause;
    I’d rather have Jesus than worldwide fame;
    I’d rather be true to His holy name
  3. He’s fairer than lilies of rarest bloom;
    He’s sweeter than honey from out the comb;
    He’s all that my hungering spirit needs;
    I’d rather have Jesus and let Him lead
http://library.timelesstruths.org/music/Id_Rather_Have_Jesus/
George Beverly Shea wrote the tune to this hymn, and I just found him singing it on Youtube. I had chill bumps listening to it just now. Mr. Shea went home to be with Jesus April 16 this year. He sang at all the Billy Graham crusades. I remember seeing those crusades on TV as a teenager.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Several days ago, I came across Jeremiah 6:16 "This is what the Lord says: “Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls." NIV84 I prayed that God would show me the ancient paths, where the good way is."

Sounds familiar and both this verse and the hyme points to the path where rest! peace is cultivated and grows -> >

Matthew 11:28-29
King James Version (KJV)
"28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls."