Saturday, October 12, 2013

Re-Opening Blog

After several months of praying and seeking God, I believe I've discovered God's will for me regarding this blog. Over the past six years, I've tried to mentor and give advice to those who emailed me in response to my posts, (and there were quite a few), and as a result, I ended up feeling overwhelmed, overly responsible, and stressed. So, I'm restricting myself to writing, which is what I feel God is leading me to do. I hope my readers will understand. I urge those who might need extra mentoring or counseling to go to a professional--someone who's been trained in godly counseling/mentoring. I humbly admit that I am not qualified.

In June, I began the six-week workbook, Learning to Tell Myself the Truth by Dr. William Backus, a Christian psychologist, and I also bought his book, Telling Myself the Truth. I highly recommend these to you. They speak to the heart of what causes anxiety in our lives, and how God's Truth in the Scriptures can help us. Here's some of the best advice I found in the book: "The place to begin in learning to deal with anxiety is found in two very simple techniques: 1) Telling ourselves truth-filled self-talk; 2) Getting 30 minutes aerobic exercise 5-6 times a week."

I've been dealing with my self-talk these past months and power walking more, and I can tell you that I've felt more relaxed and positive in my outlook than I have in several weeks. One of my favorite passages in Learning to Tell Myself the Truth: "See yourself believing so profoundly in the love, reliability, and power of God in Jesus Christ, that you can stand in His strength even against what you fear the most." The words, "what you fear the most" really spoke to me. It takes faith to stand in God's strength against our fears. The closer we are to God, though, the more faith we will have. Several weeks ago I prayed for God to give me more time to be alone with Him, and through a series of events, He did just that. I've been able to get alone more often and meditate on the love of God, remembering all He's done for me, and re-visiting Scriptures that meant so much to me when I first started walking with God. It's easier to believe in the love, reliability, and power of God in Jesus Christ when you practice solitude. Get alone with God and the Scriptures. His Word still speaks straight to our needs. All we need do is slow down long enough to hear His Voice.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back - so wonderful to read your posts again! It is a blessing!

Joni said...

Oh, I hope so. Thank you for blessing me with your comment. :)

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are back! I find such inspiration in your writing!

Joni said...

Thank you. Praying God speaks to your heart every day. We cannot live without Him.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joni - Were there ever times when you felt so overwhelmed that you had trouble even concentrating on the word of God? If so how did you get passed this? Do you use any meds now? And are you involved in any other therapy other then personal time with the Lord? (Other then exercise)

Joni said...

Oh, yes. I still take alprazolam as needed. I also went to counseling and did Beth Moore's Believing God and Breaking Free Bible studies. I exercised 4-5 times a week to up my serotonin levels, simplified my schedule, and said "no" more often to allow myself some solitude. I stopped watching the news and cut back on TV time. I started listening to praise and worship music and read the Bible before bed. I also prayed about everything that bothered me.