Friday, November 15, 2013

Do Not Throw Away Your Confidence

God has reminded me this morning that one of the reasons we meet with Him first each morning and ask Him to fill us with the Holy Spirit and His Word is not only to be prepared in case today is the Second Coming of Jesus (and we want to be found ready), but also it is because we want to be prepared for whatever may happen in any given moment so that we respond in a godly manner...or put another way, we respond as Jesus would have us respond. (Saves a lot of wear and tear on the heart and the emotions.) I believe I received this reminder because for the past three or four days, I've been responding with the flesh nature and not with the spirit. I cannot believe how soon I can switch from one to the other, especially after a few days of "the tyranny of the urgent". There was a time when I wouldn't let anything encroach on my quiet time with the Lord. But let me start feeling better and have several days of peace and quiet, and suddenly I find my commitment to meet with God first thing slides until it's sitting on the back burner. Then when life gets hectic or I'm thrown a curve, my knee-jerk reaction is less than peaceful or loving and I have the gall to wonder why! Of course, the Enemy plays his part as well. It seems as soon as I make a new commitment to the Lord, all manner of temptations and perfectly timed stumbling blocks appear. "What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death?" Paul writes in Ro. 7:24, and I can certainly go there with him. But that's not the end of the predicament. He continues, "Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!" (v. 25) God put these words in front of me this week and I am taking them up as my new battle cry to help me stand firm in my commitment to put God first every morning and surrender everything in my life to Him: So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised. (Heb. 10:35-36, NIV) Aren't you glad we live not under the law, but under grace--that we have a God who encourages us and does not berate or despise us when we mess up? I know I am.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must say first that I stumbled upon your post by one day googling anxiety.. I have been over the years suffering from this But lately pretty much often..see I am 33 years old and my son who is 19 years old and a senior in high school just moved out 1 week before his birthday. Everyday I have to be intentional about my thoughts or I'm pretty much done for the day.. I don't know why I am going all into this but I started off just wanting to thank you for writing on this. I will be visiting your blog more often. Thank you!!

Joni said...

It's hard to release control when it comes to our children. But we're not really letting them go, we're placing them in God's hands as we pray for them and for His sovereign will to reign in their lives. Keeping a daily quiet time with God where I pour out my heart to Him, meditate on the day's Scripture passage, and then sit in silence so that I might hear what He would say or lead me to do helps quiet my anxious heart and mind. I hope you will also take time to spend all alone with Jesus. You will find rest as you learn to relax and trust in His presence. God's Word tells us that His Spirit is living in us and will teach us and guide us and help us. Just draw near to God and you will sense Him draw near to you.