Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Standing at the Crossroads


God is still speaking to me through Jeremiah 6:16: "This is what the LORD says: Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls." (NIV84) I came across this verse October 5 and again October 15.

Thursday, Oct. 24, I took down a devotional book I'd gone through some time ago, Be Still And Know That I Am God. I had finished Sacred Secrets Bible study by Beth Moore and needed to choose a devotional book to read during my quiet time. I opened Be Still randomly just to see if I really wanted to go through it again, and the page opened to Jeremiah 6:16. I couldn't believe it. I felt that God was really emphasizing to me that He was aware of my desire to draw closer to Him, that His eye was on me, and that my relationship to Him mattered.

 So I've been going through the Be Still devotional again and meditating on the Scripture passages in it. This kind of meditation, called Contemplative Prayer, means slowly reading a short Scripture passage (3-4 verses) four times out loud. The first time you read to get the sense of the passage. After reading it slowly again, you ask, "What in this passage touches my heart today?" After the third slow reading, you ask, "What is God inviting me to do?" After the fourth reading, you simply rest in the Word, in God's presence, and in His love. Writing your answers in a journal is also helpful.

Practicing contemplative prayer makes racing thoughts dissipate. Your heart slows down. A stillness enters your soul. It takes practice and discipline, but it is so worth the effort. There is nothing like beginning your day this way,"casting all your anxieties on Him because He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7, NIV)

 

No comments: