Monday, November 18, 2013

We Belong To Jesus

My gleanings from meditating on Romans 1:6-7 this morning:

"And you are included among those Gentiles who have been called to belong to Jesus Christ. I am writing to all of you in Rome who are loved by God and are called to be his own holy people." (NLT) (Bold letters added)

Believers belong to Jesus Christ. The closest I can get to understanding what belonging to Jesus means is when I look at my wedding ring and remember that I belong to my husband. Because I belong to my husband, I don't look at any other man to meet my needs. I don't turn to movie stars, or fictional characters, or pictures of other men. I don't confide in other men. I belong to my husband, and I am committed to him alone. When he asked me to marry him, he wasn't asking for some of my heart or a halfway commitment. He wanted all of my heart and all of my commitment to our marriage. And I wanted the same from him. My wedding ring symbolizes our special relationship. We made a covenant with each other, a covenant that was sealed with rings. We belong to each other in this life. 
Spiritually, when I received Christ as my Savior, Jesus made a covenant with me. He set His seal of ownership on me and put His Holy Spirit in me. His commitment to me and mine to Him is just as real and lasting as a wedding ring. Even moreso. We have an eternal bond.  I belong to Him. I don't worship any other person or false god. Not even my husband can take the place of Jesus in my heart. I was thinking this morning how I so wanted something visual to remind me that I belonged to Jesus. Isaiah 44:5 says, "Some will say, ‘I belong to the Lord’; others will call themselves by the name of Jacob; still others will write on their hand, ‘The Lord’s,’.... So I'm not the first to want such a reminder.  I have a cross necklace, but I can't see it when I wear it. Maybe a ring or a bracelet. I'm going to think more about this. In the meantime I am thankful I have the Holy Spirit as my Counselor and Reminder. His Spirit testifies with our spirits that we are God's children. (see Romans 8).

 

No comments: