Monday, December 23, 2013

Our Lord Emmanuel


December 23--only two more days until Christmas. So many memories fill my mind during this time of year. For you young whippersnappers out there, the older you get, the more memories you have. Some good, some not so good, but the one constant in them all is that the love of God for you and for me never changes. And His divine power is still available to us who believe through our knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness (1 Peter 1:3—or it could be 2 Peter 1:3—look it up.) Through our relationship with Jesus we can be more than we ever dreamed we could be, do more than we ever dreamed we could do, and unselfishly love more than we ever dreamed we could unselfishly love—even our enemies. I was reading through some old journals last night, and cried my eyes out over the faithfulness of God through some of the toughest trials in my life. Then I cried while reading days He granted me the awareness of His great love, joy, and peace. It always came unexpectedly and after I had surrendered all and totally leaned on Him. His love, peace, and Presence were so evident during those times, I often didn't want to move. There is so much I need to learn about living the "with God" life, about abiding in Christ, and dwelling in the secret place of the Most High continually. I've been given glimpses and I've experienced some victories and some setbacks, and much of the time I feel I've only just begun to know Christ. Last week I ran across this verse and it’s been hanging around in my mind-- It was said of Mary, "Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished,” (Luke 1:47). My prayer this Christmas is that we would all continue to believe what the Lord has said to us through His Word, that it would be accomplished. I put the following one after the other to share the repetition of words that was so profound to me:

The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you; therefore, also, that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God. (Luke 1:35) Spoken by Gabriel to Mary

 But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you.” (Acts 1:8) Spoken by Jesus

The same Holy Spirit that came upon Mary, comes upon every believer who yields themselves like Mary and makes Jesus Lord. And so the words of the hymn, O Little Town of Bethlehem say accurately--“O holy Child of Bethlehem, descend to us, we pray;
Cast out our sin, and enter in, be born in us today. We hear the Christmas angels the great glad tidings tell; O come to us, abide with us, our Lord Emmanuel!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise God for women like yourself who continue to press on even through the many afflictions of this world. I too suffer from anxiety and it has been a blessing to read your blog and your journey. May God continue to bless and strengthen you!

Joni said...

Praying God's marvelous grace and peace and love for you. Eph. 3:16-21. :)