Monday, May 19, 2014

Bible Verses for Panic and Anxiety

This is the seventh year anniversary of my blog, and I thought I'd repost some of my earlier blog posts throughout the next few months. Below was my very first blog post ever, and it has received over 75,000 hits--proving there are many of us out there who need help from the Lord and from His Word when it comes to fear, anxiety, panic, and depression. Leaning on His strength instead of our own is the secret to victory. (Note: I updated the versions from KJV to more modern translations.)


Originally published May 1, 2007:

These are verses I used to defeat panic and daily anxiety. I read these verses day and night to get the truth of them into me. My panic attacks were very severe. But nothing is more powerful than God. When I had enough confidence in them to pray them to God and to thank Him that He meant these verses for me, my panic attacks went away. Eventually, they stopped coming altogether. I pray these verses will help free others from panic and daily anxiety as well. After reading Beth Moore's book, Praying God's Word, I learned to personalize the verses--put my name in them. That really helped. The first verse is an example.

Isaiah 41:10 "Fear not, for I am with you, Joni; be not dismayed, for I am your God I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." (ESV)

Isaiah 41:13 "For I, Yahweh your God, hold your right hand and say to you: Do not fear, I will help you." (HCSB)

Isaiah 43:1-4 "Fear not: for I have redeemed you, I have called you by your name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow you: when you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned; nor shall the flame scorch you. For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Saviour....Since you were precious in my sight, you have been honored, and I have loved you...." (NKJV)

Joshua 1:5-7,9  "For I will be with you as I was with Moses. I will not fail you or abandon you. Be strong and courageous.... Be strong and very courageous.....This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
(NLT)

Psalm 107:13-16  "Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and he saved them from their distress. He brought them out of darkness, the utter darkness, and broke away their chains. Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for mankind, for he breaks down gates of bronze and cuts through bars of iron." (NIV)

Phillipians 4:6-7 "Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (NRSV)

Psalm 91: 1-2, 4-6 "Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him. He will cover you with his feathers.He will shelter you with his wings. His faithful promises are your armor and protection. Do not be afraid of the terrors of the night, nor the arrow that flies in the day. Do not dread the disease that stalks in darkness, nor the disaster that strikes at midday. (NLT)

Psalm 91: 14-16 "The Lord says, “I will rescue those who love me. I will protect those who trust in my name. When they call on me, I will answer; I will be with them in trouble. I will rescue and honor them. I will reward them with a long life and give them my salvation.” (NLT)

Isaiah 54:10 "For the mountains may depart and the hills be removed, but my steadfast love shall not depart from you, and my covenant of peace shall not be removed,”says the Lord, who has compassion on you." (ESV)

2 Timothy 1:7 "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." (NKJV)

Proverbs 1:33 "But whoever listens to me will live securely and be free from the fear of danger.” (HCSB)

1 Peter 5:6-7 And God will exalt you in due time, if you humble yourselves under his mighty hand by casting all your cares on him because he cares for you. (NET)

Isaiah 26:3 "You will keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You, Because he trusts in You. (NKJV)

Romans 8:6 "The mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace." (NIV84)

Isaiah 59:19 "When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him." (KJV)

Ephesians 2:14 "For he is our peace." (KJV)

Isaiah 51:12-15 “I, I’m the One comforting you.What are you afraid of—or who? Some man or woman who’ll soon be dead? Some poor wretch destined for dust? You’ve forgotten me, God, who made you, who unfurled the skies, who founded the earth. And here you are, quaking like an aspen
before the tantrums of a tyrant who thinks he can kick down the world. But what will come of the tantrums? The victims will be released before you know it.They’re not going to die. They’re not even going to go hungry. For I am God, your very own God, who stirs up the sea and whips up the waves,
named God-of-the-Angel-Armies. I teach you how to talk, word by word, and personally watch over you." (The Message)

Zephaniah 3:17 "Yahweh your God is among you, a warrior who saves. He will rejoice over you with gladness. He will bring you quietness with His love. He will delight in you with shouts of joy.” (HCSB)

Ephesians 6:10-11 "Last of all I want to remind you that your strength must come from the Lord’s mighty power within you.  Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand safe against all strategies and tricks of Satan." (Living Bible) 

Proverbs 2:7-8 He holds victory in store for the upright, He is a shield to those whose walk is blameless, for He guards the course of the just and protects the way of His faithful ones. (NIV84)

Hebrews 13:5-6 God has said, "Never will I leave you. Never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid." (NIV84)

2 Peter 1:3-4 His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness. Through these He has given us His very great and precious promises.... (NIV84)

Isaiah 30:18 Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you; He rises to show you compassion. For the LORD is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for Him. (NIV84)

Psalm 34:4: "I prayed to the LORD, and he answered me, freeing me from all my fears." (NIV84)

I just found this one and decided to add it--
Romans 16:20: "The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you." (ESV)

No comments: