Friday, May 2, 2014

Endure, Persevere, Pursue

Pursue the things of God, and you will not waste your time.  You'll train your spiritual ears to hear from God. Inner peace, a strength that endures whatever comes your way, and godly wisdom will be yours as you learn to wait on The Lord each day for your marching orders. Some weeks ago, God put in front of my eyes at least three different times these verses: Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. Jeremiah 6:16 (NIV) 

I've asked The Lord to reveal to me the ancient paths, the good way, and he led me to principles I'd learned years before I ever began this blog back in May 2007. They are found in the Bible and expounded on in Richard Foster's book, Celebration of Discipline, and Charles Swindoll's, Intimacy with the Almighty, and in Devotional Classics, edited by Richard Foster and James Bryan Smith, and many others. Prayer, Adoration, Praise, Silence, Solitude, Reading the Bible, Meditation on Scripture, Memorizing Scripture, Fasting, Keeping a God-awareness, Obeying God and Serving in Humility. 

I'm quieting myself by reducing my time spent in social media and watching less TV. I'm focusing more on the inner life with God than on the external urgent but unimportant matters in life. By carving out more time for God in my day, and cutting out less important activities, I've begun to sense more of His presence with me. I know He is always with me, but I'm not always aware of it, and it makes all the difference for me. Deep soul-peace and confidence in God is strengthened by following the spiritual disciplines which makes space for God in our lives. He is worthy. Nothing else in this life is more important than our relationship and fellowship with God through Jesus Christ our Lord. Without Him, we can do nothing and cannot live the abundant life Jesus came to give us. We've been redeemed and summoned to a higher call, a better way of life--God's Way. 

Romans 12:1-2: And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him. Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect. ( NLT)

No comments: