Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Blessed Are the Pure in Heart

This morning in my quiet time I read the Beatitudes. The words, "Blessed are the pure in heart" captured my attention. As I meditated on them I prayed that God would help me be pure in heart. I wasn't playing around. I meant it. A couple of hours later, this was in my email:

"Surely God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart. But as for me, my feet had almost slipped; I had nearly lost my foothold. For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked. – Psalm 73:1-3 (NIV)

"Notice the phrase, “when I saw”. It seems that the condition of our heart is directly related to what we gaze upon. We can be filled with wonder, or we can be filled with envy. Does it seem like your feet are slipping in your relationship with the Lord? Examine at what captures your attention. You may find that faith or doubt are a result of the things that you look at the most."

I felt like the Holy Spirit was reading this to me. Our God is-- well, awesome doesn't begin to cover it. To be completely honest, I don't always read these daily devos. Sometimes my inbox is crowded and I delete them. Not today. Some people will say this was just coincidence. I used to say that,too. Until I started having prayer after prayer being answered.

I thank you, Lord, for reminding me that if I keep my eyes on you more than on any other thing, I will become purer in heart, and I will be blessed.

No comments: