Monday, June 29, 2015

The Mercy and Grace of God



I’ve been thinking about the mercy and grace of God. Memorizing Romans 8 has been such a blessing. Verses 29-32 have been working in my heart and mind. Especially the fact that my being saved was God’s idea all along. From the moment he created my innermost being, he knew. He formed me, loved me, and called me. I did have a choice. Once God made his will clear to me, I could’ve said no. In fact, I did wait to walk the aisle, not because I wanted to refuse God, (I had accepted Jesus in my heart), but because I was too afraid to walk down the aisle by myself. To say I was painfully shy is an understatement. I waited impatiently for my sister to respond to God’s call, and I still remember how elated I was when she slipped out of the pew because I was right behind her thinking, At last, at last! 

It never occurred to me then that my sister might never accept Jesus as her Lord and Savior. Not once. It was only a matter of “when” to my little-girl-mind.  How gracious God is! He knew I was scared, He knew I longed to go down that long, long, lonely, scary aisle, and He helped me out. (Maybe I should tell my sister she owes her salvation to me. Ha ha!) No, I know God had her on his heart too. He worked it all out. It’s just amazing the way He loves us, cares for us, watches over us. Every hair on our head is numbered. We are engraved on the palms of his hands. Before he formed us in the womb, he knew us. And he loves us with an unfailing love. 

The latest verse I’ve memorized in Romans 8 is “he who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also along with him graciously give us all things?” My Life Application Bible Commentary says: “God sacrificed his Son to save us; will he now invalidate that sacrifice by refusing to help and guide believers? No, instead, he promises to give us all things to bring us to the ultimate goal—our sanctification and glorification. These things come under the same guideline as the things in verse 28; they are experiences God will give us as he “works for the good” that he has planned for us.” 

God’s will for us is good. It always has been. It always will be. Every command, every plan, every purpose, every word of God is for our good.

No comments: