Saturday, September 12, 2015

Genesis and Marriage



Rereading passages from Genesis to prepare for Sunday’s lesson, and as I read Genesis 2:22, “The LORD God…brought her (the woman He had made) to the man,” I was reminded again of the marriage ceremony. Here in Genesis 2, we see a wedding.  The Father of the bride walks his daughter down the aisle and brings her to her groom. Every time we see this played out in a wedding, we’re being reminded by God of that first sacred ceremony in the Garden of Eden where, at that point, evil did not exist. Adam was thrilled to finally meet the helper who “was fit for him”. And since this was a loving and sacred ceremony instituted by God, I can imagine Eve being delighted to see the one God had chosen for her. For as long as it lasted, up until the time of the serpent, Adam and Eve were one in love, purpose, and action. They lived out their God-given roles. The man as head of the marriage, and the wife as helper to her husband. I can see her adding feminine touches here and there in their “home” with Adam saying, “Wonderful! I never thought of that!” In the Garden, there was harmony and joy and love. Adam and Eve were soul-mates. But only for a short time. Evil entered, the honeymoon is suddenly over,  and their marriage is thrown into chaos.
“One of the most tragic results of Adam and Eve’s rebellion against God is an ongoing, damaging conflict between husband and wife in marriage, driven by the sinful behavior of both in rebellion against their respective God-given roles and responsibilities in marriage.” (ESV Study Bible commentary).
Now that Jesus Christ has redeemed us, marriage doesn’t have to be two people struggling for power and selfish desires. “Ephesians 5:21-32 is the New Testament pattern for marriage founded on the redemptive work of Christ.” (Titus 2:3-6, also). A woman can place her trust in God, just as Eve did in the beginning, and see herself in her God-given role as a loving wife and helper to her husband, a nurturer to her children, a builder of her home.
I have yet to consistently be this woman. But I’ve decided this is what I want for my marriage today.  Because I still remember walking down the aisle with my daddy (and God) 40 years and 27 days ago toward the man I knew God had chosen for me. And I could not wait to have a home and begin a new life with a new title--Mrs. Maybe Eve felt the same way. It makes me smile to think she did.

No comments: