Tuesday, December 1, 2015

My Testimony

Just wanted to say a little bit more about the memory verse I've chosen for the next two weeks. Jeremiah 15:16 "Your words were found and I ate them, and your words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I have been called by your name, O LORD God of hosts."

This verse is among so many that have personal meaning for me. It was God's Word that wooed me to Him so that He could heal my broken mind, knit my shredded soul back together, revive my spirit. I don't know what I expected 11 years ago when I entered my first indepth Bible study after a two-year absence from church. I only knew I was desperate to be free of the panic attacks, the insomnia, the torment of racing thoughts instilling fear and doubt and self-condemnation in me. Two years of trying medications, cognitive therapy, counseling, deep-breathing, reading self-help books and still the panic attacks kept coming. When no one and nothing else could help--that was just the right time for God to step in. He left no doubt that He and He alone was my Savior and my Deliverer.

"Your words were found and I ate them and your words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart...." Words like "Do not fear, for I am with you;" "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you;" "I have loved you with an everlasting love;" "for I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future;" "In this world you will have trouble, but do not fear, I have overcome the world;" "and lo, I am with you always;" "As I was with Moses, so I will be with you;" "Come to me;" "The Lord is my helper, I will not be afraid;" "Fear not, for I have redeemed you;" "You are mine;" "then you will come and pray to me and I will listen to you" "He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, he is my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust;" "under His wings you will find refuge;" "nothing can separate us from the love of Christ;" "Every hair on your head is numbered;" "you are worth more;" "you were chosen in Him before the foundation of the world" "that we should be called the children of God, and that is what we are!" "I am my Beloved's;" "Remain in me;" "without me you can do nothing;" "to Him who loves us;" "You believe in God, believe also in me;" "I have come that they might have life, and life more abundantly;" "His divine power has given us everything we need;" "and the peace of God which passes all understanding shall keep your heart and your mind in Christ Jesus;" "You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is stayed on you;" "For you did not receive a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind;" "God himself will restore, confirm, strengthen and establish you;" "I am the Good Shepherd;" "The Lord is my Shepherd;" "I will fear no evil for Thou art with me;" "The LORD will fight for you;" "Do not fear;" "Do not be afraid;" "Where does my help come from, my help comes from the LORD;""save me, I am yours;" "help me my unbelief!" "come, Lord Jesus."

Taking God at His word will transform your mind, your heart, your soul, your life. It has nothing to do with who you are, what you've done, where you've been. It's all about Jesus Christ. His love, His forgiveness, His grace, His power, His salvation, His faithfulness, His trustworthiness. I am so thankful He didn't wait for me to get my act together before He saved me. I was an absolute mess. But deliverance is God's specialty. "Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble, and he saved them from their distress. He brought them out of darkness and deepest gloom and broke away their chains. Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for men. For he breaks down gates of bronze and cuts through bars of iron." (Ps. 107)

No comments: