Monday, January 4, 2016

2016

It's a new year with new hopes and desires for 2016. I'm entrusting God with mine. One of my desires/goals is to be more spiritually minded. My theme verses for this year--Colossians 3:1-4:

Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.  For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory. (NIV84)

To set my mind on things above means to be spiritually minded instead of letting my sinful nature have control. When I get so caught up with life that I lose the ability to sense the Holy Spirit's leading, and I begin to ignore my "hidden person of the heart" (1 Peter 3:4),

my mind begins to fray and I sense a pulling away from God in my heart. The priority of my life is to love God with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. Setting my mind on Him is life and peace. (Ro. 8:6b). My ESV study Bible says that when Christ died, we died with Him. As believers, we have been reborn in Him. When our sinful nature tries to resurrect itself, we now have the Spirit of Christ in us to put it to death. "If by the Spirit we put to death the misdeeds of the body we will live, because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God."(Ro. 8, NIV84)
May the Lord bless you and keep you this new year, 2016, and may the peace of Christ Jesus reign in you.

No comments: