Friday, January 22, 2016

The Armor of God

I'm facilitating The Armor of God Bible study at my church beginning next Sunday night, and this study couldn't have come at a more appropriate time. I feel as though my shield of faith needs enlarging and my sword of the Spirit needs sharpening. I haven't been wielding my sword enough lately, and it's become dull from lack of use. I think back to the days in 2005 when I first began to really speak God's Word out loud during intense panic attacks. Speaking His Word was so much more effective than just my reading verses silently.

Reading silently is passive, but speaking God's Word out loud is active and strong. It battles against the fearful and negative thoughts racing through my brain and kills them dead! There's power in the spoken word, and there is immeasurable greatness of  power in speaking and praying God's Word out loud. While praying my heart would stop racing, my breathing would return to normal, and peace would settle in. Glory to God! Amazing how the Spirit can use God's Word to displace fear. Reminds me of the verse in 1 John (I think it's 1 John) that says "Perfect love drives out fear." God's perfect love is so apparent in the verses that He gave me to battle the fear and anxiety that often overtook me. Meditating on God's Word when you're not having a panic attack is great, but if you're having a panic attack, you need to speak out!

Thank you, Lord, that you set it up so that my mustard seed-of-faith combined with your powerful Word puts all my enemies to flight! You hide me in Christ Jesus and you fight for me. "One thing God has spoken, two things have I heard: That you, O God, are strong; and that you, O Lord, are loving." Ps. 62:11, NIV84

No comments: