Saturday, January 30, 2016

Why We Need to Pray



I've been listening to and enjoying Dr. John Piper's podcasts while exercising on the elliptical. Learning so much. Today's podcast was on the authority of Jesus. At one point in the podcast today he said someone asked if God is sovereign, why pray? His answer: "Why else would you pray?"

 Love that!

In the context of The Armor of God study, we learned last week that praying is the divinely authorized mechanism to tap into heavenly places. To the extent we pray, we access/activate the armor God has given us so we and our loved ones can experience victory over the devil's schemes. We have a very real enemy who is powerful and who hates us. We are no match for him. He has schemes and plans for our destruction--to destroy our witness, our joy, our peace, whatever work God has done in us. He wants us weak and ineffective. Our words cannot defeat him. But God's Word can.

I'll never forget learning in one of Beth Moore's studies that "prayerless lives are powerless lives, and prayful lives are powerful lives." When we start praying God's Word over our circumstances, we will see powerful results. Either we will change or our circumstances will change, or both.

A couple of weeks ago my desire for reading the Bible was at an all time low. I began praying for God to help me "love your word" as the psalmist writes many times in 119. This morning I spent several hours in the Word, enjoying every minute. Only God can change our want-to. He is faithful to sustain us.

"Turn to me and be gracious to me, as is your way with those who love your name. Keep steady my steps according to your promise, and let no iniquity get dominion over me." Psalm 119:132-133, ESV

No comments: