Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Sword of the Spirit, Armor of God Bible Study



Been thinking about the last session of Armor of God Bible study. Priscilla Shirer taught us that when a verse or a passage is “highlighted” by the Spirit for us during our Bible reading or study, that is our Truth that we are to use to fight against the Enemy (I so hate to capitalize that word—he is not worthy of a capital in my mind). We need to get what the Spirit highlighted into our hearts, pray it out loud to God, and meditate on or memorize and bring that verse or passage to mind when the Enemy’s schemes and flaming arrows come.


That is just downright awesome--that the Lord would do that for us so that we would not be defenseless. God's Word is glorious and precious. It comforts, encourages, warns, and defends.

So we learned that the battlefield is in the mind. Why would God tell us in the Word to “renew our minds” and to “set your mind on things above” and to love Him with "all your mind" if we didn’t need our minds rewired? Look at what Jesus said to Peter: “For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man.” (Mt 16:23) We will all find ourselves in fearful or negative circumstances and those will generate worldly negative thoughts. If you don’t believe you could have worldly negative thoughts, then you may have become so comfortable with them that you don’t recognize them.

That was true of me. That’s one of the reasons the devil doesn’t want us reading God’s Word. It’s there that I found the truth about most of my thoughts. I had always considered myself a positive person. What a shock it was to me when I started paying attention to what I was telling myself throughout the day and especially before falling asleep. Try paying attention to what you’re thinking right now. Is it uplifting, edifying to God, faith-filled, or pessimistic, arrogant, unbelieving?

Paul tells us in Ro. 12:2 “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” Who doesn’t want to know God’s will or do what is good, acceptable and perfect? I recently found out that the word “transformed” in this verse is the same Greek word used to describe Jesus’ transfiguration on the mountain. Can you imagine such a glorious transformation being done in our minds? That’s what happens when we expose our mind to God’s Word day after day. This Greek word “transformed” is metamorphoo and is the root word of our word, "metamorphosis". The more we read God’s Word in faith and belief, the more we will be transformed into Christlikeness. And that is the Christian’s goal after all. 

I love this Chuck Colson quote--"I don’t just want to be saved. I don’t just want to be forgiven. I want to be changed." I want that, too. I know I’m not the only one. And it starts with you and I loving God with “all” of our mind refusing to let this world culture darken or divide it. It is a daily fight which is why we need our Sword of the Spirit, the Word of God (Eph. 6:17) every single day.

No comments: