Friday, April 1, 2016

Twelve Years Ago

12 years ago on March 30, I went to my first in depth Bible study by Beth Moore--Believing God. That night was a turning point in my life. It was as if I had been waiting for someone to give me permission to believe God could change my circumstances, to change me. As I completed each day's homework, my faith grew stronger and stronger. I began to experience God's peace, the joy of being a child of God with Christ living in me, and the confidence that came from answered prayer and holding Bible verses in my hand on a 3x5 spiral wherever I went. Three weeks into the study (and after two years of agoraphobia due to panic attacks), I was able to return to church and to rejoin the choir. A week after that I began substitute teaching for my Sunday School class. I attended more in-depth Bible studies and in 2005, I began facilitating the morning sessions held at my church. 

In 2004 God took a step by step approach to restore my mind and my life (1 Peter 5). In doing so I've learned that it is God who meets all my needs and who satisfies my soul. He truly is "a very present help in times of trouble". 

You never know what can happen in a Bible study. God just may meet you there as He did me. I encourage you to participate in those held at your church. 

No comments: