Sunday, July 10, 2016

Throughout the Years, God Is With Us


"My oldest son came in Sunday and sang in the choir with me. Afterward, I cooked dinner before he had to leave. It was a short visit, and I wished he could've stayed longer. My youngest had come in the weekend before. I was feeling sad because it had been awhile since we'd all been together as a family. I wanted to talk to my husband about it, but he had fallen asleep in the recliner, so I walked outside feeling like the empty-nester that I was. There was a slight breeze and suddenly a small shower of leaves floated from our maple tree right in front of me. The late afternoon sun, the breeze, the leaves, and the clouds in the sky just seemed to sing to me of God. I thought of my younger days when I felt lonely--how I'd go outside and sit with my dog and watch the sunset and think about God. Or I'd walk to my favorite tree in the neighborhood and sit in it, and how every breeze that touched my face reminded me of God. Remembering all this, I began to cry because I realized that although I have grown older, and nothing in my life has stayed the same, I still had God with me. He has not left me. He has been and is the only constant in my life. He's been with me from birth and He will never leave me. I can depend on God, and I can talk to Him any time I need to talk. I am never truly alone. I felt so loved and comforted by Him as I stood outside under the maple tree. I thanked Him for His faithfulness throughout all my years. I will always have God with me. What a blessing that thought is."      (Posted Sept. 24, 2007)                                                             

It's been almost nine years since I posted the above entry, and I wanted to add a verse that goes along with it. The truth of God's Word is such a comfort.

"Even to your old age and gray hairs I am He, I am He who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you. I will sustain you and I will rescue you." Isaiah 46:4, NIV84

 

No comments: