Sunday, August 14, 2016

Coping with Stress and Anxiety

Praying Gods Word, Bible reading, Scripture meditation, and practicing the presence of God daily is the way I've learned to cope with life. And when stress triggers anxiety in me, that's my signal to run, not walk, to the nearest Scripture-- either hidden in my heart, or marked in my Bible or written on a 3x5 card--and refocus on my Father. He is "not a God of disorder but of peace", and His promises of help and support are real. 

I've not always done this when I should have, and I've paid the consequences of taking matters into my own hands. I am always so much better off, and my family and friends are so much better off when I surrender control, run to God, and believe Him to be who He says He is and that He can do what He says He can do. "If God is for us who can be against us?" may not look true in our immediate circumstances, but if we continue to believe and trust in that word, we will see change. He will either change our circumstances or He will change us so that we end up overcomers in the midst of our circumstances. I've learned that when I abide in Christ, watching, listening, and waiting on Him, anxiety doesn't get a stronghold on me. When I don't do those things, I'm a total mess!

No comments: