Wednesday, August 24, 2016

What is Seen and Unseen

"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Cor. 4:18, ESV

Several days ago, God taught me that to truly apply this verse, I needed to read the verse ahead of it, verse 17. I had always wondered about "what is seen" and "what is unseen" whenever I came across verse 18.  So what is seen? Verse 17 says it's our light and momentary troubles (light and momentary when taking eternity into consideration). What is unseen? The eternal glory being achieved for us. In another place, Paul says "the eternal glory that far outweighs them all." 

So the message is to turn our focus from our troubles to the glory being achieved for us by our going through those troubles. God is working for us. It's a glorious work! He is in our midst. Our part is to cling to Him and let Him work--focusing on worshiping, adoring, and abiding in His love through Jesus Christ our Lord. If we will "fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith" as we go through the seasons of our life, we will have a glorious testimony to share while on this earth and when we get to heaven. We may not do this perfectly, but when we see our focus on Jesus waning, we can readjust our sights. We don't let the devil keep us down through condemnation. With Christ's help and by the grace of God, we will gain the victory.Thank you, Lord!

2 comments:

Malia Brandt said...

I have felt with anxiety for years. I'm 58, my dad just passed away a month ago. My mom is in memory care. My 45 year old cousin just died of cancer leaving 3 beautiful kids. I get sick one night and my mind goes to I have cancer. And now I'm a wreck. It gets such a hard grip on me. I do have medication, an amazing husband and kids. But when it hits I shut down. Is there anyone online that I can just share with during these hard times? I guess I need a friend to pray with and for support to help me realize I'm not going nuts. I guess I have such a fear of dieing.
Brandtms58@gmail.com

Joni said...

Sometimes fear can grip our minds and send our imaginations off and running. I rein in my mind by reminding myself that God is good, He loves me, He is for me, and He is with me. I am never alone. On the subject of death, for Christians it is true that though the body may die, the soul will live. We will be ushered into the Presence of God to spend eternity with Him. It's like going to sleep here and waking up in Paradise.