Monday, March 27, 2017

Sabbath: A Day of Rest and Remembering

Read Deuteronomy 5 as part of homework for our Ladies Bible Study, A Woman's Heart, God's Dwelling Place (it's an awesome study!) and discovered something I never knew about the Sabbath. The Sabbath is not only about resting from work, and going to church to worship, but it is also about remembering what God has done for me personally and for my family-- reflecting on how He has specifically delivered us from many dangers and from slavery to sin. In other words, God wants us to take one day of the week and remember how far He has brought us. Deuteronomy 5:15: "You shall remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the Lord your God brought you out from there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the Lord your God commanded you to keep the Sabbath day." Remembering God like this is a safeguard for our hearts and minds. I'm going to try and look back in my journals on Sundays to remember even the relatively small things God has done for me and my family. I'll have to make myself a note so I don't forget to do it!!

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Thank you, Joni. What a great insight! Also, just want to say that you have been a blessing to me for a few years now - I don't think I've ever commented before, but I may be wrong. Anyway, we appear to also share a love of simple, beautiful things. I'm looking at some of "my" birds right now, drinking out of my fountain by the front door. I have several feeders up as well that always give me something fun to look at. Thanks for taking the time to update on your journey with anxiety. Mine, too, has been a lifelong battle that I am winning by God's grace! What would we do without HIm? All praise to Him! Thanks for being obedient to Him and sharing your journey!

Joni said...

Thank you for taking the time to comment, Cathy! It always encourages me! I'm so glad you enjoy birds too. They remind me of His tender loving care for us all. And yes, all praise to the glorious Father! Stay in the fight against anxious thoughts, and I will, too. We have the Spirit of the living God in us! We are more than conquerors through Him who loves us. (Romans 8)