Thursday, March 2, 2017

Update on My Battle With Panic and Anxiety

April 9, 2017 update: I've been experiencing physical symptoms of anxiety, so I am returning to the evening dose three evenings a week. I am disappointed but not discouraged. I reduced too much too soon.  I have set a new goal to stop all evening doses by July.

It has been awhile since I last updated y'all on my progress with recovering from panic and anxiety. God has been gracious to me. Through prayer, Bible study, meditating and memorizing God's Word, practicing the presence of God, exercising on the elliptical, reducing caffeine and sugar, I've been staying in control of my emotions and my mind where fear/anxiety is concerned. This past week was the first week in several years that I've been able to do without the evening dose of my medication for panic and anxiety. I've been slowly reducing the amount I take since last year. Which means that now I only take 1/4 of the prescribed dose in the mornings.

All this is from God. The more time I spend focused on Scripture, God's love and forgiveness, the more time I spend in worship and praising Him, the less anxious I feel. And when I do start feeling anxious or start having negative thoughts, reciting and meditating on Scripture and praying builds my faith and puts my thoughts back in line so I don't lose control. I thank God for His Word and the promise that He will never leave me or forsake me. He wants me to "be still" and not panic but "know" to the core of my being that He is God. The fact that we can know Jesus and that He cares for us, watches over us, and intercedes for us, is just too wonderful for words. I give Jesus all the glory and the praise for the peace and joy I have in my life today! I am so grateful.

I'm participating in Beth Moore's Scripture Memory Team, as you may know, and I thought this would be a good incentive to memorize Colossians 1.  Eventually, I will memorize the whole book. That's the plan anyway.

So here are my memory verses for the next two weeks:

"Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, To the saints and faithful brothers in Christ at Colossae: Grace to you and peace from God our Father." Colossians 1:1-2, ESV


2 comments:

Teresa said...

Joni I have suffered with anxiety and panic attacks for over 25 years. I have been on klonopin all this time and was on nortriptyline but got myself off that as I felt it was time to wean myself off theses meds as I felt I did not need them. The klonopin well no doctor would help me wean off of it. Why stop a good thing if it is working were their words. Crazy I know. So I am slowly weaning off of it.
My anxiety came out of nowhere 25 years ago. Nothing triggered it really. I have done the basket case by beth moore and a lot of that I cannot fill out cause I don't have any anger issues against anyone.
I got the book DARE many years ago by Barry McDonagh which has been a great help in understanding anxiety and panic attacks but this December after my mother in-law died of a sudden heart attack all the old feelings starting coming back and there I have been for 4 months. I am a Christian and I want to be free from the hold of these silly ridiculous thoughts that lead into anxiety and fear. It is a vicious cycle. God has shown me that there is more to the DARE book that he wants me to see and that He wants me to turn to him for guidance and help. I am waiting for the other Beth Moore book to arrive and I am staying in prayer and reading Gods word and soaking in as much as I can of God. Thank you for this site.

Joni said...

Hi, Teresa. I pray that God will help you as you draw closer to Him. I am so grateful that we have His Word to help refocus our minds during anxiety and panic attacks. I keep my 3x5 spiral of verses close by so I can pray and meditate on them.