Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Jesus Is the Image of the Invisible God

I've been memorizing Colossians 1 since January as part of Beth Moore's Siesta Scripture Memory Team. I've reached my favorite part of Colossians, the part where we are told about Jesus.

"He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross. (v. 15-20, ESV)

I've memorized up to verse 20 so far. I love knowing that when we look at Jesus in the Scriptures, we are looking at our heavenly Father. I rejoice in the fact that we have a God and Savior who created the universe and the earth and the heavens and that this same God and Savior loves us so much, they sent the Holy Spirit to live in us and to empower us to stand firm in our faith.

"...whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things were created through him and for him." As long as I fix my eyes on Jesus, the Enemy cannot get a foothold. Jesus has authority over him. Jesus protects me, and when I cry out to Him, He saves me. He destroys the devil's works.

"...and in him all things hold together." Every time I repeat that as I'm working on memorizing these verses, I thank God that Jesus holds me together. It's His power and His strength that keeps me from falling apart--mentally, spiritually, physically. In Him we have One who is willing to fight for us, get us back on our feet (and gives us a firm place to stand, Ps. 40), who encourages us, promises to be with us always, and who restores our soul. One who loves us and desires for us to love Him and find our life in Him. Jesus Christ. King of Kings. Lord of Lords. Savior of the World. He is worthy of our love and devotion.

No comments: