Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Bible Verses for Panic and Anxiety

These are verses I used to defeat panic and daily anxiety. I read these verses day and night to get the truth of them into me. My panic attacks were very severe. But nothing is more powerful than God. When I had enough faith to pray them to God and to thank Him that He meant these verses for me, my panic attacks went away. Eventually, they stopped coming altogether. I pray these verses will help free others from panic and daily anxiety as well. The Bible translation I used was NIV84; however, because of copyright laws, I've posted them in KJV. After reading Beth Moore's book, Praying God's Word, I learned to personalize the verses--put my name in them. That really helped. The first verse is an example.

Isaiah 41:10 "Fear thou not; for I am with thee, (your name); be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness."

Isaiah 41:13 "For I the LORD thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee.

Isaiah 43:1-4 "Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine. When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. For I am the LORD thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour....Since thou wast precious in my sight, thou hast been honourable, and I have loved thee...."

Joshua 1:5-7,9  "As I was with Moses, so I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee. Be strong and of a good courage....Only be thou strong and very courageous..Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.".
Psalm 107:13-16  "Then they cried unto the LORD in their trouble, and he saved them out of their distresses. He brought them out of darkness and the shadow of death, and brake their bands in sunder.
Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!
For he hath broken the gates of brass, and cut the bars of iron in sunder."

Phillipians 4:6-7 "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."

Psalm 91: 1-2, 4-6 "He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust. He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler. Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday."

Psalm 91: 14-16 "Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name. He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him. With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation."

Isaiah 54:10 "For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed; but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the LORD that hath mercy on thee."
2 Timothy 1:7 "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

Proverbs 1:33 "But whoso hearkeneth unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil.
1 Peter 5:7 Cast all you anxiety on Him because He cares for you."

Isaiah 26:3 "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee; because he trusteth in thee."

Romans 8:6 "For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace."
Isaiah 59:19 "When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him."

Ephesians 2:14 "For he is our peace."

Isaiah 51:12-15 "I, even I, am he that comforteth you: who art thou, that thou shouldest be afraid of a man that shall die, and of the son of man which shall be made as grass; And forgettest the LORD thy maker, that hath stretched forth the heavens, and laid the foundations of the earth; and hast feared continually every day because of the fury of the oppressor....But I am the LORD thy God, that divided the sea, whose waves roared: The LORD of hosts is his name.
Zephaniah 3:17 "The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing."

Ephesians 6:10-11 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

Proverbs 2:7-8 He holds victory in store for the upright, He is a shield to those whose walk is blameless, for He guards the course of the just and protects the way of His faithful ones. (New International Version)

Hebrews 13:5-6 God has said, "Never will I leave you. Never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid." (New International Version)

2 Peter 1:3-4 His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness. Through these He has given us His very great and precious promises.... (New International Version)

Isaiah 30:18 Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you; He rises to show you compassion. For the LORD is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for Him. (New International Version)

Psalm 34:4: "I prayed to the LORD, and he answered me, freeing me from all my fears." (New International Version)

I just found this one and decided to add it--
Romans 16:20: "And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen."

39 comments:

Darlene Schacht said...

That's an awesome way to handle your anxiety. Those verses are so powerful.

Shelly said...

Preach on sister: 'allow yourself to be loved' :) Hopped over here off of the LPM blog. Loving the verses..

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just wanted to thank you for your story and the bible verses. I have suffered with severe panic attacks for years. They are so controlling and disabling. For 3 years now my fear has taken the form of fear of eating. I'm scarred everything I eat is going to give me a horrible reaction. I have never had any problems with food allergies before. It is horrible. I take medicine and have been to therapy. I know this is not the way God intended me to live. I want my joy back and to be able to eat like a free woman.

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled across your blog while I was trying to find the source for a bible verse I had running through my head. Thank you so much for sharing your challenges and your journey with the world. I've also had issues with panic and anxiety for a long time, although I never sought help till last year. contemplating on the omnipresence of God and how god is bigger than my own limited mind and understanding has been a ballast in my own journey. I wanted to recommend checking out the book "when people are big and god is small." I can't remember who wrote it- I read it for class 3 years ago and it was so good that I had to give it away (in my mind, the true mark of a book worth the read). :)

Anonymous said...

Hey! Thank you so much for your post! I am gonna read through all these verses! I have had panic attacks for 8 years now and since i became christian I have tried to trust God with them and learning more and more every day.Blessings!

Victoria W. said...

HI! I came across your blog while searching for bible verses that dealt with anxiety. Thank you! I have suffered with anxiety for years now, and last year it got so bad, I went into deep depression. I also suffered with derealization, and if anybody has ever experienced that its the MOST AWFUL thing you can experience. I believed in GOD and been brought up in church my whole life, but had recently swayed away from the LORD. My theory: God gives us obstacles to get us reeled back into him. I have Faith in the mighty GOD that he will take this away. I know he will do it in his time but until then I serve him while I patiently wait and dig deeper into the BIble and creating a closer relationship with HIM:)

Louise said...

thank you for postin these verses. this is just what i needed so desperately at this time.

Anonymous said...

Thank you. These verses are so powerful.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your blog!

deron said...

Thank you some much for these scriptures Gods word holds so much encouragement and power they help me alot and remind me how much God really loves me thanks so much

Anonymous said...

Hey..Thanks so much for these verses. I've been struggling with severe panic anxiety for months on and off now; symptoms of irrational thoughts and that "disconnected" dreamlike feeling, which is pretty frightening. At times, when all is said and done, God's word is all I can cling too, because His word is ALIVE and full of REAL HOPE!!!! PRAISE GOD!!! He is our Healer and will be faithful to hear our call and be our refuge when we feel like we are "loosing it."
So thank you! I'll be praying for you guys!
Jonathan

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this...I searched for words to comfort me...I suffer from panic attacks, I try to talk myself through them but I can't....my mind always goes to the worse scenario imaginable....my husband is usually patient but as they go on, he gets frustrated and impatient because he can't understand why I can't get past it...he'll say "say the Lord's prayer to calm yourself" but I can't during that moment....I was diagnosed with MS a few years ago and my attacks have worsened over the last year or so...I will read these verses and continue to pray

The Prisoner's Advocate said...

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS! I am so relieved other people go through the same thing, but even more relieved that we do NOT have to stay trapped in it! Love this, thank you so much! :)

Anonymous said...

As I laid here in bed, nearly in tears I am having such a hard night, I googled for scripture and God led me to here. Thank you for being a blessing to me tonight. It was so needed. Bless you

Anonymous said...

I am a hair stylist and after having madE one mistake and dealing with people that just can't be happy after giving it my all i am scared to death of going in to work. I am fine until the hour before and i go into severe anxiety. Once i see my schedule i worry about every little thing....what if they want a cut i am not so good at or what if they are mean to me. i obsess over every little detail. i want to quit because this has steadily been going on for six months. my husband gets upset every time i bring it up. so its nice to know others array out therethat i can relate with. i Will keep these verses close and read them when times get tough.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for those verses! I have been dealing with severe anxiety and panic attacks for a few weeks now and if you've never been through it before, it's truly hard to understand. After the first week, I decided to go to church with my family. As soon as I stepped inside and saw people worshipping, I knew I wasn't alone. I pray everyday now and I read some bible verses everyday. I will incorporate your scriptures into my daily readings... They are powerful.

Anonymous said...

My panic attack is reaalllyyy veryyy severe... I thought i was alone with this... As i read your blog now it gives me the courage to apply those.... To return to God's embrace and be inspired with his words... Thnx all.. I hope you can share facts about how to manage panic attack when im alone or in the public places alone--- i just couldnt breath .. Thnx evereyone! GOD bless us all...

liturgical dancer said...

This blog has been very inspiring.I am 26 and My anxiety started around the age of 20. After my pregnancy it seemed like this has gotten worse. I have fearful thoughts all the time and no one really understands what I am going through. I have been in church all my life and as I got older and am drawing closer with God, the anxiety became worse instead of better. The biggest fear of mine is the shortness of breath It lingers for days, even when I am not having an attack. I heave been prescribed diazepam but I am scared to take that because it's not an everyday drug. Is there any medicine that you take on a daily basis that does not make you sluggish? Other than that, I'm learning that if I'm going to stand on Gods word, then I cannot worry.I have a 10 month old that is filled with Joy and I do not want to teach her to live in fear because of what I'm going through. I'm just so happy that I found this blog because it gives me some relief. Thanks Joni for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Honk my name is LaQuandra and I have been suffering with having panic attacks for.about 12 years now a long time I know they are so intense that I am afraid to leave home the thoughts are bad also & any pain that I feel I am afraid that it's something serious i grew up in church & too have backslid but I pray that God will deliver me your blog is helping me a lot knowing that I'm not alone

Anonymous said...

I have just started having panic attacks major depression. I am on an antiderepresent for 2 years and they are working great. Since Saturday, Nov.18 I have been going crazy. I begin to cry unstoppably since. I have been to the ER and my doctor but I am still crying for no apparrent reason. It is really driving me crazy. If you have anything to help me I would truelly appreciate it. I hate felling this way and I can't seem to function at all. I have been praying to God but I fell like God has left me. I can use all the help I can get right now. Thanks, Connie

Anonymous said...

I love this, thank you for posting.. I have been dealing with aniexity and have been miserable, I came across your blog, and began reading these bible verses, they are very encouraging.. I will hold them close to my heart, if you have a minute, please say a prayer for me. Thank you, be blessed

Anonymous said...

I'm a young teenage girl and recently was diagnosed with a heart condition known as SVT. Since the incident, I have been suffering anxiety issues which are not normal for me. Your verses help so much and are a constant reminder of how incredible Gods love is. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Your blog totally hit me. I struggle with anxiety on/off the last year. I thought it was pre-menopause but its obviously much more. I'm recommitting my life to the Lord. Thanks you are an inspiration. AMEN!!!

Anonymous said...

I've been reading this verses every morning for a month now and the truth in them has really helped my anxiety. I love the truth that if our minds are stayed on God then we will have peace!

Simona said...

Wow.. this is EXACTLY what I needed. Speaking Gods word of truth into my heart and my mind. Thank u so much for this.

lisa lisa said...

I have been struggling with severe compulsive thoughts of fear and occasional
panic attacks since my mom came to be with a breast tumor that had already grown out of control. She is now stage 4 cancer...i have spent the last 3 years reading all about cancer and ways to alternatively cure my mom..at the same time..i have obsessive thoughts of getting the disease myself. I have even gotten to the point I hardly feel physically well.. I am a christian..i have decided if I would commit to spend as much time reading God's Word as I spend on cancer..I will be healed...I am going to copy these verses to use on my healing journey...I am ready to be healed in Jesus name...

Jamiebabie said...

Thank you so much for posting these scriptures. I have been feeling God drawing me to be in His word more. I am very encouraged by your success in overcoming anxiety. I have been dealing with this since I was 18 yrs old. I am 35 currently. I have 3 small children and I have to change this for their sake as well as mine. Thank you!

Brenna said...

I have had minor anxiety since childhood, and after the hormonal changes associated with pregnancy, have had panic attacks and stronger anxiety off and on for almost four years. I have been leaning on the Lord, learning of His goodness and faithfulness, and believing in His promises. I have also begun to learn the importance of transparency about my struggles. Your site is another example of how the Lord will use honesty and openness about struggles and difficulties for the good to those who love Him. Thank you for your willingness and your love.

Anonymous said...

Hello, Jane here.
It is very early Christmas Eve morning. I am crying and laughing at the same time reading the comments. I thought it was just me. I thought there was something very wrong with me! I have a beautiful family loving husband and two teenage boys, loving church family, but anxiety and depression have always shadowed me since I was 19, much of which I can hide from everyone. At the moment no one has any idea how I am feeling, I am trying to get christmas ready on autopilot. but I have no joy in recent weeks. I Have been on tablets and had counselling and lots of prayer over the years, but currently not on medication. Looking at some people's comments i see it is a common thread that it is when I am too busy either doing church stuff, or more recently taking on extra work, that I fall apart. Quiet times go out of the window, 'me' times are non existent, and I feel very 'hardworking' and 'important', then the holidays come and there is no structure and everyone else is calm and enjoying their family time. I keep waking in the middle of the night with my mind whirling about 'how come I don't understand how to live, how to laugh and how to love like others seem to be able to do with ease? I think why does the anxiety happen, why can't I believe that God has a purpose for me, when everyone else seems so blessed and content!!!!! I am not comfortable in big groups, as I am trying to second guess people, I am a people pleaser, preferring to cook for people rather than sit down and let people serve me..... I keep having thoughts that it is too difficult to live, I want to know the 'secret'. If I wasn't a Christian, I know the answer is Christ, but as I am a Christian I get confused as other non Christians seem far happier in thir lives than me... What is going on? I keep telling myself to pull myself together, but its not working. Is Beth's book available in England? I'll stop now.

dmickey68 said...

...did a google search for bible verses for anxiety and it led me here. Just wanted to say thanks. I'm starting a new job tomorrow which I am over qualified for but I still got nerves about it.

And just to share something too...
The book Mere Christianity by CS Lewis I have found as true a blessing as anything in my 45years. I listen to it in audiobook almost every night...I wish I could just memorize it.

Thank you again.
-Daniel

Anonymous said...

I am struggling myself with a lot of these same issues of anxiety, with a new career and a new state. I feel as if I am just to sensitive and take things to heart that's others just brush off. 11 years of a controlling/abusive relationship is when the anxiety started for me. Luckily , I am with a very loving man now who listens to my worries. I am trying to reach out finally ,after crying out to my Lord for help, to talk about my anxiety and reach out to others. Reading other people's comments is therapeutic . Please pray for me as I will be praying also.

Anonymous said...

Joni, thank you for your obedience to Christ in creating this website/blog. I too have been battling anxiety and the verse at the very top of this page spoke to me like I have never felt before. I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I am His! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Brian Combs, Jr. said...

Thank you so much to the poster! And many of the testimonies in the comment section has helped as well, thank y'all.

God is good!

I have this mindset that i'm Judas... that I've blasphemed the holy ghost and I feel like my mind is hard wired to continue doing it... I look for signs and anything I can feel is from God so that I can attack it in my mind... It's really been killing me but the verses posted here has given me so much hope.

Praise Jesus !!!!!

Anonymous said...

I new at this the panic attacks started last week thought I was having a heart attack call 911 have been to er again then I begin to realize what's going on my an appointment with my doctor I've never been sick so this is so scary to me I do know when it's coming I try to relax thanks for the Scriptures this is my very first blog ever

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the verses. I'm buying spiral bound 3x5 index cards today. I returned going to church in the past 3 months which is helping. Together with God I know I can conquer my panic attacks.

Unknown said...

Thank you this helped alot my name is also joni so felt like it was meant for me to read and has helped alot

Elia said...

I was awaken at 3am with panic attacks. Indescribable fear and anxiety and sweat. Thank you for these scriptures. That is a great idea to put my name in scripture to personalize it. I have been dealing with this for as long as I could remember, I believe since I was 15. I'm 30 now. It's been a struggle. Glad I came across this post. Your testimony and the testimony of these ppl in the comments is a God send. For those who read this please pray for my continued strength to defeat this thing with the word of God as I pray for myself and you guys as well. Thanks again for this blog.

Unknown said...

I have to read this post almost every day because I get really weird anxiety atracks.

Stephen said...

Praise the Lord! Thank you so much for this collection of verses. I've sent them to my mother who has high blood pressure. I believe that the storm in her will come to peace in Jesus' name in response to His Word.