Monday, May 19, 2008

A God of Lovingkindness, Justice, and Righteousness

This morning my devotional was on Jeremiah 9:1, but as I read through the chapter, my eyes fell on verse 24 and the words penetrated my heart. Jeremiah 9:24 says, "'But let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the LORD who exercises lovingkindness, justice and righteousness on earth; for I delight in these things,' declares the LORD."

God wants us to know Him and understand Him. That He is not a harsh, evil god, waiting to zap us for every mistake we make, but a God of lovingkindness, justice, and righteousness. How blessed we are to have a God who delights in such things and not in making our lives miserable--a God who's all powerful and who destroys all wickedness, but who is also so loving and gentle He can kiss the brow of a sleeping baby and not disturb its rest. That's the feeling I had when I read and meditated on this verse. Awesome God. Loving Father. Faithful Redeemer. Saviour. Friend.

No comments: