Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Jesus in Song of Songs (Solomon)

I have always had a hard time seeing how Song of Songs fit in with the rest of the Word, but I found these comparisons in Daily Light From the Bible (by Samuel Bagster, Barbour Publishing) that opened my eyes, so I thought I'd share:

My meditation of Him shall be sweet: I will be glad in the Lord. (Psalm 104:34) As the apple tree among the trees of the wood, so is my Beloved among the sons. I sat down under His shadow with great delight, and His fruit was sweet to my taste. (SOS 2:3) Thy words were found and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart. (Jer. 15:16)

For who in the heaven can be compared unto the LORD? who among the sons of the mighty can be likened unto the LORD? (Ps. 89:6) My Beloved is white and ruddy, the chiefest among ten thousand. (SOS 5:10) A chief cornerstone, elect, precious....(1 Peter 2:6) One pearl of great price. (Mat.13:46) The Prince of the kings of the earth.(Rev.1:5)

His head is as the most fine gold, his locks are bushy, and black as a raven. (SOS 5:11) The head over all things. (Eph. 1:22) He is the head of the body, the church. (Col. 1:18) It pleased the Father that in Him should all fulness dwell. (Col. 1:19)

His cheeks are as a bed of spices, as sweet flowers.(SOS 5:13) He is altogether lovely. (SOS 5:16) Thou art fairer than the children of men: grace is poured into thy lips. (Ps. 45:2) The Word made flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. (John 1:14) He could not be hid. (Mark 7:24)

His lips like lilies, dropping sweet smelling myrrh.(SOS 5:13) Never man spake like this man. (John 7:46) All bare Him witness, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of His mouth. (Luke 4:22)

His countenance is as Lebanon, excellent as the cedars.(SOS 5:1) Make thy face to shine upon thy servant. (Ps. 31:16) LORD, lift thou up the light of thy countenance upon us. (Ps. 4:6)

I am black, but comely. (SOS 1:5) I am a sinful man, O Lord. (Luke 5:8) I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing. (Romans 7:18) Be of good cheer; thy sins be forgiven thee. (Matt. 9:2) Ye are complete in Him. Perfect in Christ Jesus. (Col. 2:10; 1:28)

No comments: