Friday, February 24, 2012

A Little Bird

This morning while praying to God, I gave Him all of my recent disappointments and hurts that I had been trying to pretend did not bother me. After drying my tears, I made a cup of tea and looked out the window to my backyard. The song, It is Well with My Soul, came to mind. I quietly sang the first verse and my heart and mind became still. I thought about the words, "When sorrows like sea billows roll, whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say, 'It is well. It is well with my soul'." I thought about how it can be well within me even when there is still sorrow around me. Nothing had changed outwardly after I prayed, but I was relieved of the weight I had felt. I was freed up. As I continued to stare out the window, a sweet little bird with a yellow tummy landed in the practically bare branches of my English rosebush directly in front of me, hopped a time or two, seemed to look at me through the blinds, and then flew off.

I was delighted! Such an unexpected gift. I thanked God for it's coming and felt a surge of faith and love. I felt validated. God had heard me. He had heard my prayers and sent that little bird to lift my spirits. I knew it as sure as I knew my name. I just had to share it. Oh, how I love my God! He is faithful to us all.

No comments: